Teacher Advisory Council, 2021-2023
The Teacher Advisory Council (TAC) advises and supports the Carlos Museum’s Office of Educational Programs in the development and promotion of resources and programs for K-12 school groups and teachers. The council works in collaboration with Carlos education staff to ensure high-quality and meaningful connections and resources for educators and their students.
The Teacher Advisory Council strives for diverse representation as it relates to:
- Grade levels and subject areas
- Individual role within the school or school system
- Geographic location
- Representation from public and private schools
- Racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
- Physical ability
The role of the Teacher Advisory Council is to support and strengthen the Carlos Museum’s school programs. The council serves in an advisory capacity only, and is not a policy-making body. Activities may include:
- Identifying topics and subjects of interest for teacher workshops, resources, and tours
- Sharing first-hand experiences with museum staff regarding contemporary issues in the field
- Providing feedback, assessment, and evaluation on museum programs to ensure relevance to classroom curriculum
- Promoting museum programs and resources
- Council members are appointed to a two-year term.
- Teacher Advisory Council members are required to attend and participate in fourmeetings per academic year (August – May). The meeting schedule is determined and distributed in July of each year. Members who miss more than two meetings a year become inactive.
- You may be asked to serve on a committee that will involve additional meetings, phone calls, and email correspondence. Commitment to a specific committee implies consistent attendance and participation.
- Council members are required to:
- Attend at least one teacher workshop per academic year.*
- Bring a group of students to the museum for a school group visit at some point during your two-year term. Groups are offered reduced admission and complimentary bus funding (up to $300 per bus).*
*Educators are asked to participate in these programs so they may better understand the success and challenges as they relate to school programs.
- Waived fees for teacher workshops (excluding the Summer Teacher Institute)
- Reduced admission for one field trip to the Carlos Museum for your students and complimentary bus funding (up to $300 per bus)
- Complimentary Carlos Museum membership
How to Apply
THE APPLICATION PERIOD HAS NOW CLOSED.
Interested educators should fill out an application during the application period. Selected applicants will be invited to interview with Office of Educational Programs staff members, who will select members of the board. No prior experience or program attendance with the Carlos Museum is necessary. We are looking for teachers who meet the following criteria:
- Openness to new ideas and collaboration
- Able to promote the Carlos Museum among colleagues and/or districts
- Familiar with current trends in education
- Aid in the goal of representing a diverse group of educators
- Flexible thinkers
- A sense of humor is always appreciated!